John career began with Rural bank moving into self-employment to allow John to pursue different positions and personal interests. John’s career has included:
- Rural valuer and agri-business consultant
- Managing director and shareholder Coolstore Management Services Ltd
- Managing Director Te Awanui Huka Pak Ltd
- Financial Controller and partner Hillcote Forest
- Financial controller/advisor to various businesses and Hapū Trusts
- CEO Kiwifruit Vine Health
- Project Manager Manuka Plantations and Kiwibee Apiary for Comvita
- Director Seeka Ltd
- Farmer and Kiwifruit Grower
John loves to spend his free time enjoying his Whanau, surfing and mountain biking.
John’s family immigrated from Galway, Ireland to NZ in 1847. He has close affiliations with hapu in the Tauranga Moana who were shareholders in Te Awanui Huka Pak. John is Co-owner of Pukekauri Farm with his twin brother Rick. Pukekauri Farm has over 20 years environmental restoration work. Regenerative farming practices are being applied to the pastoral and kiwifruit operations.
John’s aim is to change land use and farming practices that achieves restoration of Waihi estuary and awa health.
John’s passion is to be part of E pai ana nga awa kapai te tangata (The rivers are good for man)